December 13, 2009

Surviving My Emotions

This blog has so far been more study oriented, however, today I would like to go a little beyond my studies, my career, my professional shoo-sha, and write a little bit about my philosophies and beliefs. I have also come to believe that there is more to life than college, work, professionalism and moolah.


The single most important learning I have had is in the area of emotions. I have always been an emotional person, a fool, if I may call myself that. When I was younger, I never gave myself a chance to learn how to feel my emotions. I would rather run away than feel anything unpleasant. I thought that a emotionless life is what would be utopia. No feelings, no reactions to feelings, no hurting, no getting hurt. No extra baggage!

As I have grown up and matured emotionally, I have once again received a new set of beliefs and thank God for that. I no longer think emotions; especially unlikable ones are bad at all. I think they are a part of the process called “life”. The process toughens us humans up, preparing us to deal with the next disaster.

I remember feeling relief when I admitted I was unhappy and my life was not what I had wanted it to be. I spoke to a close friend about what I was going through at the age of 17 and I began to feel like I didn’t have to deny who I was or what I felt in order to be alright. For the first time in my life, I realized that I had been fighting these negative, painful emotions. I decided to surrender to them; to let them control me for whatever time they needed to and let the natural process happen. I no longer felt guilt over what I felt; I could own up to it and it could not kill me. I take stock of my day. I get honest about my participation in my life and emotions and by surrendering to the reality, I know I can survive the feelings life throws my way.

‘This too shall pass’, is a mantra I use on a daily basis. What it means to me is simply that nothing is here forever and everything will pass. Uncomfortable emotions too, like everything else will go away and there is no constant in my life. I am in the infinite course of learning the ability to survive my emotions.

1 comment:

  1. Why are you being so philosopical,just chill.we all are there for you all the time;take care

    ReplyDelete